John R. Crawford
Areas of Practice: Commercial Trucking Defense; Auto, Truck & Boat Accidents; Insurance Coverage; Commercial Litigation; Personal Injury Defense; Premises Liability; Products Liability; Wrongful Death
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota / Hudson, Wisconsin
Direct: 612.336.9331 / Email: email@example.com
John R. Crawford / Biography
John Crawford counsels clients in cases involving insurance coverage, personal injuries, wrongful death, mental impairment/mental anguish, punitive damages and property damage. A significant portion of his practice is representing motor carriers, commercial truck drivers, and the motoring public.
John is certified as a civil trial specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association and is a board certified civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Currently he and colleague, Lauren Nuffort, serve as co-editors of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, a 26-chapter deskbook on insurance coverage. He is also a frequent speaker on insurance coverage, personal injury litigation and related issues, and served on the editorial board of the Journal of American Law on the topics of insurance and re-insurance.
John has repeatedly been selected for inclusion in Minnesota Super Lawyers, is rated AV Preeminent® for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell and is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for his work in the area of Litigation – Insurance.
John and his wife are proud parents of a son who works in the food service industry in the Twin Cities and a daughter who graduated from the University of Michigan and works in Chicago. During his free time, he enjoys biking, skiing and hockey.
Leadership + Activities
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Minnesota Trucking Association (MTA)
We have worked with John Crawford of Lommen Abdo on two different cases. He was great to work with, prompt, thorough, and always well prepared. Both cases resulted in outcomes that were in our favor.
John Crawford was tremendous to work with. Even though this matter was being managed through our insurance company, John kept me, as general counsel, informed throughout, and valued my opinion when asked. We also received a favorable and swift settlement.
We have worked with John Crawford of Lommen Abdo on a couple cases. He was on top of everything and got the outcomes we wanted in both cases. He was responsive, communicated well, prompt and always had our best interests at the forefront of his work.
Within a matter of months after taking over the defense of our insured, John resolved both a breach-of-contract lawsuit and a workers’ compensation claim by the plaintiff for a minimal amount. And in doing so, he included in the settlement agreement my company’s right to reimbursement from any money the plaintiff recovered from the at-fault third party. The amount of litigation expenses he saved my company was significant. He clearly put the interests of my company ahead of his firm’s.
National trucking insurance company
When an attorney for a passenger in another vehicle threatened to pursue my personal assets and a bad-faith claim against my insurance company for failure to settle within my policy limits, my insurer retained John. John methodically identified the important liability and damages issues, used his many years of experience to evaluate the case, and ultimately resolved the claim for less than my policy limits. The threat to my personal assets and the bad-faith claim evaporated. In addition to fending off the passenger’s bad-faith claim, John persuaded a jury to return a verdict fully exonerating me and finding the other driver was 100% at fault. As a result, the settlement amount paid to the passenger in the other vehicle was fully recovered, along with double our costs. I would strongly recommend John for the most difficult and challenging personal injury cases.
After my elderly father was involved inaauto-bike accident, a lawsuit was commenced by the biker alleging significant injuries and medical expenses. Although my father had a primary and umbrella insurance policy for his auto, his umbrella insurer informed him that his insurance agent failed to obtain the necessary liability limits for the primary policy. As a result, there was a $250,000 gap in my father’s insurance coverage. Due to my father’s personal exposure for the $250,000 gap, we hired John. After reviewing the policies and deposing my father’s insurance agent, John was able to persuade the insurance agent’s errors & omissions insurer to contribute a significant amount to the settlement with the plaintiff. The result: my father received a full release from the injured biker without losing any of his personal assets. I would strongly recommend John to anyone who is faced with a lawsuit and possible exposure to their personal assets.
- “Litigation Strategies for Reducing Exposure to Insurers and Insureds,” February 2021
- “Reservation of Rights and Duty to Defend,” Insurance Law Essentials Webcast Series, Minnesota CLE, October 2019
- “Collecting and Preserving Evidence Following a Truck Accident and Avoiding Spoliation Claims,” Claims and Litigation Management Alliance’s Annual Conference, 2014
- “Insurance Law Deskbook: Duty to Defend and Priorities of Coverage,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2013
- “Rapid Response Strategies for Catastrophic Accidents: Collecting and Preserving Evidence, and Avoiding Spoliation Claims,” Minnesota Trucking Association’s Annual Law Conference, 2013
- “Duty to Defend,” The Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook & Seminar, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2011
- “Insurance for Litigators” webcast, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2010
- “Recent Developments in Duty to Defend,” Minnesota Insurance Law Today, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2009
- “Handling Insurance Issues in Minnesota,” Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2003
“Chapter 6: Duty to Defend,” Update to Fifth Edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, Minnesota CLE, April 2023
“Chapter 6: Duty to Defend,” Update to Fifth Edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, Minnesota CLE, July 2021
- “Reducing Your Client’s Medical Expense Exposure,” For the Defense by DRI, February 2021
- ”A Systematic Approach: Defending Claims Involving Future Radiofrequency Neurotomy Treatments,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Summer 2020
- ”Defending Claims Involving Future Radiofrequency Neurotomy Treatments,” For the Defense, October 2018
- “Strategies for Responding to Reptile Theory Questions,” For the Defense, December 2015
- “Damages: A State by State Summary (Minnesota),” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2014
- “Why Courts Should Not Admit CSA Scores as Evidence,” For the Defense, December 2012
- “How to Get Damaging Evidence From Litigants’ Social Media Sites: Practice Tips in Dealing With the Stored Communications Act,” The Transportation Lawyer, October 2012
- Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, 4th Edition, Editor-in-Chief, 2011
- “Duty to Defend,” Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, 2011
- “Minor Compromises: State by State Summary (Minnesota),” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2010
- “Comparative/Contributory Negligence and Joint” and “Several Liability: State by State Summary (Minnesota),” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2009
- “Spoliation of Evidence: State by State Summary (Minnesota),” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2008
- “Punitive Damages in Commercial Transportation: State by State Summary (Minnesota),” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, 2007
- Middlebury College, B.A., cum laude
- University of Connecticut School of Law
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Awards + Certifications
News + Articles
John Crawford, Brent Tunis and Beth Chapman authored an article in the February 2021 For the Defense magazine by DRI, the Voice of the Defense Bar. Read the full article. If a plaintiff can establish that a defendant negligently caused personal injuries, the plaintiff...
John Crawford presented a webinar to approximately 52 claims professionals at a major insurance company on February 10th. The webinar was titled “Litigation Strategies for Reducing Exposure to Insurers and Insureds” and covered the following topics: Strategies for...
An article which John Crawford and Lauren Nuffort authored, “A Systematic Approach: Defending Claims Involving Future Radiofrequency Neurotomy Treatments,” appeared in the Summer 2020 newsletter of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar...
John Crawford spoke on October 2, 2019 as a part of Minnesota CLE's Insurance Law Essentials webcast series. He presented on "Reservation of Rights and Duty to Defend." Program description: Find out what’s new about reservation of rights and duty to defend...
John Crawford and Lauren Nuffort co-authored an article in the October 2018 For the Defense magazine by DRI, the Voice of the Defense Bar. The article also appeared in the Winter 2019 Minnesota Defense and the Fall 2018 newsletter of the Trucking Industry Defense...
Attorney John Crawford Achieves Recertification in Civil Trial Law with the National Board of Trial Advocacy
The National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA) is pleased to announce that John Crawford of the Lommen Abdo Law Firm has successfully achieved recertification as a civil trial advocate. Mr. Crawford has been a NBTA member is good standing for since April of 1997. The...