Michelle K. Kuhl
Areas of Practice: Appeals, Litigation, Insurance Defense Litigation, Insurance Coverage, Professional Liability
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Direct: 612.336.9328 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle K. Kuhl / Biography
Michelle is a litigation attorney with a practice focusing on appeals. She has experience handling all aspects of appeals including briefing, oral arguments, appellate motions, and petitions for review. Before joining Lommen Abdo, Michelle clerked at the Minnesota Supreme Court where she gained valuable insight into the process by which appellate courts decide cases. Michelle also handles complex motions in a variety of other litigation areas, including professional liability, commercial litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage and subrogation.
She is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© Ones to Watch for her appellate practice and is listed as a Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers.
Leadership + Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- “Extraordinary Writs, Interlocutory Appeals, Emergency Proceedings: What Every Appellate Practitioner Should Know,” Eighth Circuit Bar Association, May 2022
- “Demystifying Extraordinary Writs,” Appellate Practice Institute, Minnesota CLE, 2022
- “Making Post-Trial Motions and Initiating Appeals,” Civil Litigation A to Z, Minnesota CLE, September 2021
- Adjunct Professor at University of St. Thomas School of Law – Lawyering Skills III, 2020
- “When CAN You Speak to a Represented Party?” HCBA, June 2020
- “Appellate Arguments by Zoom,” The View, Minnesota Lawyers Mutual, November 2020
- “Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases,” Chapter 20, 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook
- “Minnesota Amends its Rule of Professional Conduct Authorizing a Lawyer Admitted in Another Jurisdiction to Provide Legal Services in Minnesota,” Minnesota Lawyer, June 2019
- University of Minnesota, B.A., with high distinction, 2013
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2015
- Minnesota, 2016
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2017
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2022
News + Articles
We are happy to announce that Michelle Kuhl has been elected a shareholder at Lommen Abdo. A Love of Learning Leads to Appeals From an early age, Michelle has always enjoyed learning as much as she can about many different things. As a result, while she enjoyed...
Upon receiving an adverse ruling from a district court, many people instinctively want to appeal the decision immediately and assume that doing so will quickly result in reversal. The reality is not so simple. There are many factors that must be considered before...
The Eighth Circuit recently reaffirmed the validity of household exclusion clauses in boat insurance and umbrella insurance policies under Minnesota law. Such exclusions are common and operate to deny liability coverage for personal injuries to the named insured and...
Lommen Abdo Attorneys Co-Edit and Author Updated 5th Edition of Minnesota CLE’s Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook
We are proud to announce that Lommen Abdo attorneys John Crawford and Lauren Nuffort have been hard at work co-editing and authoring chapters of the 2021 update of the 5th edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, published July 9, 2021. The 26 chapter Deskbook...
The Minnesota Court of Appeals recently clarified that an attorney misconduct claim couched as a breach of fiduciary duty claim is still a claim for attorney malpractice and subject to the expert affidavit requirements of Minnesota Statutes section 544.42. In short,...
Nearly every attorney has now been affected in some way by the challenges brought on by COVID-19. Appellate attorneys have largely been lucky compared to their trial-level colleagues because most appellate work is uniquely well-suited for a remote environment. After...