Kay Nord Hunt
Areas of Practice: Appeals, Insurance Coverage, Professional Liability, Workers’ Compensation Appeals
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota / Hudson, Wisconsin
Direct: 612.336.9341 / Email: email@example.com
Kay Nord Hunt / Biography
Kay Nord Hunt is an appellate advocate who has handled over 600 appeals to the Minnesota and Wisconsin appellate courts, the Seventh and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeal, other specialty courts and other courts around the nation where she appears pro hac vice. As Lommen Abdo is a broad-based litigation firm, she has handled appeals in virtually every area of the law. Because of her experience in appellate practice, she also regularly associates with other law firms to assist them with their appeals.
There is a distinction between trial work and appellate advocacy that is sometimes difficult to discern when the trial lawyer is so close to a case. Both Kay’s clients and referring attorneys find it helpful to engage her to obtain an independent opinion to refocus on the pivotal issues to be presented on appeal. As appellate counsel, she sees the case the same way an appellate court does — from a written record. She understands how appellate judges think, knows the standards of review, and focuses on making the appeal as persuasive as possible.
Her cases are all in the civil arena, such as disputes involving trusts, liens, insurance, employment, contracts, professional liability, family law, medical malpractice and many other areas. She works closely with trial lawyers in developing arguments and making sure arguments or theories are preserved for a possible appeal.
Kay is a member of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for her work in Appellate Practice and Bet-the-Company Litigation, and was named the “Minneapolis Best Lawyers Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year” for 2012 and again in 2018. She has been listed as a Top 100 Minnesota Super Lawyer since 2010, a Top 50 Woman Super Lawyer since 2005 and in the Super Lawyers list in the area of appellate advocacy for many years. She was selected as a “Minnesota Attorney of the Year” in 2013 by Minnesota Lawyer. She is a former adjunct professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law. She was appointed by the Minnesota Supreme Court to serve on the Supreme Court Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure. She is rated AV Preeminent® for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
She is an avid Viking and Gopher fan, has many rescue pets and travels extensively.
Leadership + Activities
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- State of Wisconsin Bar Association
- “Post-Trial Motion Procedures – What You Need to Consider Before the Appeal Process,” Minnesota CLE, December 2019
- “How to Protect Your Trial Record for Appeal: Lessons for Family Lawyers,” Minnesota CLE, November 2019
- “Legal Malpractice Actions and Ethics Issues Related to Bankruptcy Matters,” 2019 Bankruptcy Institute, Minnesota CLE, October 2019
- “Voting Law & Today’s U.S. Supreme Court – What Are the Constraints on Political Gerrymandering?” Moderator, Big New U.S. Supreme Court Decisions Seminar, Minnesota CLE, August 2019
- “Making Post-Trial Motions and Initiating Appeals,” Civil Litigation A to Z: The Endgame, Minnesota CLE, June 2019
- “Claim Repair After Losing a Verdict,” MLM Defense Panel Seminar, June 2019
- “Recurring Issues: Post-Hearing, Post-Trial and Beyond,” Procedural Issues in Family Law Seminar, Ramsey County Bar Association Family Law Section, October 2018
- “Preserving the Record for Appeal,” Candid Conversations, Hennepin County Bar Association Bench & Bar Committee, March 2018
- “Divorce A to Z: How to Appeal Decisions in Family Court Matters,” Minnesota CLE, November 2017
- “Civil Litigation A to Z: The End Game – Making Post-Trial Motions & Initiating Appeals,” Minnesota CLE, June 2017
- “The Marriage is Ending. Now What? Who Gets What? What do I Need to Know?” Aging But Dangerous/Lommen Abdo, 2016
- Appellate Case Preparation Start to Finish, “Making an Ethical Appeal” and “Oral Argument Techniques that Get Results,” National Business Institute, 2016
- “Handling Appeals (and Building an Appellate Practice in the Process),” Minnesota CLE, 2015
- “Pfeiffer: How Does it Impact Expert Review Practice,” 2015 Medical Malpractice Conference, Minnesota Association for Justice/HCBA/Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, 2015
- “The U.S. Supreme Court’s Big New Decisions,” Minnesota CLE, 2015
- “The U.S. Supreme Court’s Big New Decisions,” Minnesota CLE, 2014
- “Post-Trial Motion Procedures and Appeals,” Minnesota Civil Practice Deskbook Seminar, Minnesota CLE, 2014
- “Child Relocation: How to Create an Effective Record to Succeed at the Trial Court,” Hennepin County Bar Association, 2014
- “New Law Series: The Loss of Chance Doctrine in Minnesota – Dickhoff v. Green,” Minnesota CLE, 2013
- “The U.S. Supreme Court’s Big New Decisions,” Minnesota CLE, 2013
- “Top Ten Tips for Family Law Appellate Practice,” Hennepin County Bar Association/Ramsey County Bar Association, 2013
- “Preserving Issues for Appeal: Post-Trial Motions,” Fifth Annual Appellate Practice Institute, Minnesota CLE, 2011
- “Watch and Learn: A Unique Approach to Learning About Effective Motion Practice,” Hennepin County Bar Association, 2011
- “Verdicts, JMOL, Post-Trial Procedures & Motions,” Minnesota CLE, 2009
- “Legal Malpractice Actions and Ethics Issues Related to Bankruptcy Matters,” Minnesota CLE, 2009
- “Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases,” Chapter 20, 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook
- “Ethical Issues on Appeal,” (Co-Author), 19 Wm. Mitchell L. Rev. 659, 1993
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1977
- Marquette University, J.D., 1981
- Minnesota, 1982
- Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1983
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2010
News + Articles
Lommen Abdo Attorneys Co-Edit and Author Updated 5th Edition of Minnesota CLE’s Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook
We are proud to announce that Lommen Abdo attorneys John Crawford and Lauren Nuffort have been hard at work co-editing and authoring chapters of the 2021 update of the 5th edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, published July 9, 2021. The 26 chapter Deskbook...
Kay Nord Hunt and Michelle K. Kuhl co-authored Chapter 20 in the 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook, "Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases."
Lommen Abdo is proud to have increased the number of its lawyers included in the latest edition of The Best Lawyers in America© – especially in the midst of a pandemic. One additional Lommen Abdo attorney has been included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: One to...
Kay Hunt has been an adjunct professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law since 2003 teaching Lawyering Skills III.
Kay Hunt presented on December 12, 2019 at How to Litigate a Civil Case in Minnesota by Minnesota CLE. She presented on the topic "Post-Trial Motion Procedures - What You Need to Consider Before the Appeal Process." Overview: Post-decision motions and the need...
Kay Hunt presented a panel on November 19, 2019 at the 2019 Advanced Family Law Series by Minnesota CLE, "How to Protect Your Trial Record for Appeal: Lessons for Family Lawyers."