Areas of Practice: No-Fault and Auto Liability Insurance Defense Litigation, Transportation Litigation, Insurance Coverage
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Phone: 612.336.9351 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Sofio / Biography
With over 20 years of experience in her defense practice, Kelly Sofio is regarded by her peers and her clients as an authority on first-party automobile insurance law. She has tried numerous jury and court trials, as well as binding arbitrations.
She has adjudicated over 2,700 AAA and District Court no-fault and bodily injury cases and appeals, and appeared in front of the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Court of Appeals, and the Minnesota Supreme Court in the successful case Western Nat’l Ins. Co. v. Nguyen, 902 N.W.2d 645 (Minn. App. 2017), aff’d mem. (Minn. Sup. Ct. March 23, 2018).
She is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, and is currently involved in both the Women in the Law and Diversity committees.
Kelly is an AAA certified no-fault arbitrator. Her articles on winning strategies in no-fault cases have been published in the Minnesota Defense and Minnesota Claims magazines. She continues to conduct no-fault seminars for the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, the Twin Cities Claims Association and insurance company clients. Kelly routinely is the first call her colleagues and clients make when they have questions about Minnesota auto insurance law.
Kelly Sofio married fellow Hamline University School of Law Graduate Greg Sofio after graduation. They have three children and live in St. Paul.
Leadership + Activities
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, 2002 – present
- American Arbitration Association No-Fault Arbitrator Panel, 2004 – present
- “No-Fault Trends,” Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Meeting, 2018
- “Statute 62Q Defense and the Supreme Court,” MDLA Motor Vehicle Committee, 2017
- “No-Fault Here and Now and What Is on the Horizon,” Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Meeting, 2017
- “Current No-Fault Issues for Adjusters,” Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Meeting, 2016
- “Adjusting Minnesota No-Fault Claims for Success in the AAA,” Metropolitan Council, 2015
- “Emergency Accident Response,” Metropolitan Council, 2014
- “A Defense Arbitrator’s Perspective of AAA No-Fault,” Twin Cities Claims Association, 2013
- “Women in the Law,” Hamline Women’s Legal Caucus, 2013
- “Securing an Unbiased Arbitrator,” Twin Cities Claims Association, 2012
- “The District Court No-Fault Trial: The Adjuster is the Key,” Minnesota Claims magazine
- “No-Fault or Our Fault? Ideas on How We Can Solve Many of Our Own No-Fault Problems,” Minnesota Defense magazine, 2006
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1993, (International Relations), Dean’s List, 1991-1993
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1998
- Minnesota, 1998
News + Articles
Lommen Abdo is continually striving to be the most dedicated, flexible and client-focused firm in Minnesota and Wisconsin. We have been growing to continue to meet the unique needs of our clients and are excited to welcome attorney Kelly Sofio to our team. Kelly has...
Kelly Sofio was a panelist in a session titled "No-Fault Here and Now and What Is on the Horizon" at the 2017 Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Winter Seminar. The no-fault panel discussed pertinent no-fault issues and ways to deal with the creative and crafty...
Kelly Sofio presented to the MDLA Motor Vehicle Committee on her Court of Appeals Opinion on Western National Ins. Co. v. Jon Nguyen (A17-0314) on 62Q.75 and its applicability to Minnesota No-Fault.
Attorney Kelly Sofio provided first-hand experience on current trends in no-fault arbitration claims at the Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Meeting in 2017.
Kelly Sofio presented a brief discussion on the latest trends in Minnesota no-fault filings, billing by medical providers, and the status of defenses at the 2016 Twin Cities Claims Association Annual Meeting.
Kelly Sofio presented her best practices in adjusting that should result in better success in defending those claims at the AAA at a presentation to the Metropolitan Council in 2015.