Kathleen M. Loucks
Areas of Practice: Business Litigation, Catastrophic Injury, Construction Litigation, Medical Malpractice, Professional Liability Defense, Vaccine Injuries, Wrongful Death, Insurance Defense
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota / Hudson, Wisconsin
Direct: 612.336.9348 / Email: email@example.com
Kathleen M. Loucks / Biography
Kathleen Loucks is admitted to practice in Minnesota and Wisconsin state and federal courts, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and is certified as a civil trial specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association.
She is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© for her work in the practice area of Litigation – Insurance, has been listed as a Minnesota Super Lawyer since 2021 and was listed as a Minnesota Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers in 2011 and from 2006 to 2008. She received a Client Satisfaction 10 Best Female Attorneys Award by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys in 2016 and 2017. She was honored as one of the 10 Best Female Attorneys in Minnesota by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. She was recognized for excellence in litigation law by the Association of America’s Top Lawyers in 2019.
She started her career in the courtroom, cutting her teeth in criminal court as a prosecutor. Before joining Lommen Abdo in 2014.
Kathleen has championed individuals and businesses in state and federal courts throughout the region. Her practice includes representing plaintiffs and defendants in general litigation matters, personal injury, wrongful death, construction defects, and products liability. She also represents attorneys in professional liability matters, and plaintiffs in vaccine litigation in the United States Court of Federal Claims.
“I have significant experience on both the defense and plaintiff side of simple and complex litigation all the way through jury verdict. My clients have learned to appreciate this about my advocacy,” says Kathleen. “This insight enables me to make wise choices about when to be collaborative with opposing counsel, and when to be a strong advocate for my clients. My clients want more than a one-size-fits-all approach to their case – they deserve a seasoned and wisdom-driven advocate with a full spectrum of tools, who will talk with them candidly and straightforwardly about their options, and who will choose the best tools available to serve their interests. That’s how I practice and that’s what I’m committed to delivering to every client I have the privilege of serving.”
Leadership + Activities
- Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota
- Vaccine Petitioners Bar Association
- Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bench & Bar Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association (including Hennepin County Bar Association)
- Innocence Project of Minnesota, Advisory Board, 2010 to 2016
Community + Pro Bono Work
Project Family Connect; United Gospel Mission
Kathleen Loucks provided excellent legal counsel to our association in a complex construction defects lawsuit. Kathleen is a superb communicator who provides sound counsel that is clear, comprehensive and understandable to clients. She is an experienced, effective, straightforward, pragmatic and responsive attorney whom I recommend without reservation.
Larry B., Golden Valley
I have had the pleasure of working with Kathleen on several occasions and would highly recommend her as legal counsel to anyone. While working with Kathleen, I was impressed by her depth of knowledge, prompt follow-up, ability to quickly resolve matters, the ability to clearly articulate matters so that those without a legal background understand and, moreover, her compassion for what she does as a legal professional. Throughout my career I have worked with many lawyers and Kathleen has proven to be one of the finest.
Deborah H., Property Manager and CEO
Kathleen defended our company on a products defect case. We were very pleased with her defense of the case including her diligent and thorough investigation of the facts, knowledge of the law, and effective negotiation strategy. Kathleen was very prompt in her communications to us and made the matter a priority.
General Counsel at a Wisconsin manufacturing company
- Shierts v. University of Minnesota Physicians et al. – medical malpractice wrongful death verdict $1,200,000
- Jane and John Doe v. Minnesota Clinic – medical malpractice wrongful death settlement $687,500
- Campbell v. Falcon Ridge, et al. – settlement of catastrophic injury claim $750,000
- Wildman v. Coyers – settlement of catastrophic injury claim $225,000
- Jane Doe as Trustee v. Midwest Clinic – wrongful death settlement arising out of suicide 1.75 million
- Vaccine settlements:
- Shoulder Injury (SIRVA) following flu shot $ 60,254
- Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) following tetanus shot $450,000
- Shoulder Injury (SIRVA) following flu shot $75,000
- “Vaccination Law 101,” Annual Meeting of the 18th District Bar Association, 2021
- “COVID-19 Countermeasures Receive Broad Immunity,” Minnesota Lawyer, May 2020
- “When Attorneys Are Sued by Non-Clients: The Immunity and Privilege Rule,” Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, September 2019
- “Shoulder Injuries from Vaccines? Separating Fact from Fiction,” Mitchell Hamline Law Review Blog, February 2019
- “Drilling Down: The Vaccine Act,” Mitchell Hamline Law Review, May 2018
- “Rule Changes for Homeowner Associations,” Minnesota Lawyer, September 2017
- “Vaccine Law: Where it Came From, How it Works,” Minnesota Lawyer, May 2017
- “When a Client Dies During…Litigation,” Hennepin Lawyer, March/April 2016
- “Notable Verdicts: Organ Transplants Gone Wrong, Botched Surgeries, Bad Priests,” Minnesota Lawyer, 2015
- “Judicial Ride-Along Program: Another Look,” Hennepin Lawyer, 2011
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1995
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1999
- Minnesota, 1999
- Wisconsin, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2019
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2016
Awards + Certifications
News + Articles
We are thrilled to announce the outstanding Lommen Abdo attorneys who have earned the prestigious recognition of being named in the 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers. These accomplished legal professionals have demonstrated unwavering dedication, exceptional skills, and a...
At Lommen Abdo, we are thrilled to announce and celebrate the exceptional legal talent in Minnesota as we recognize our 2023 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. These esteemed attorneys have demonstrated outstanding skills, legal acumen, and an unwavering...
It is common to experience side effects like a sore arm or a low grade fever from a vaccination. However, you should be aware that vaccines can cause shoulder injury related to vaccination (SIRVA) when administered incorrectly. Common Contributing Factors The most...
Lommen Abdo team members recently got out in the community and participated in the Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) Pack at the Park event. This is the first year Lommen Abdo employees have packed food but they look forward to making this an annual event! Feed My...
The widely watched, live-streamed, defamation trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard has riveted many people, spending hours tuning into the stream to keep up. In summary, Depp is suing his ex-wife, Heard, over an article she wrote, where she described herself as a...
Kathleen Loucks authored an article which appeared in the March 17, 2022 Minnesota Lawyer on COVID vaccines, "Why are COVID vaccine injuries treated differently?" There are significant differences in the process and compensation for those injured from the COVID-19...