Margie R. Bodas / Biography
Margie litigates bankruptcy disputes such as preference claims, turnover actions, issues relating to the property of the bankruptcy estate, fraudulent transfers and other adversary actions. Most often she helps creditors who find themselves at odds with a bankruptcy trustee related to issues such as a claim for return of payments made to the debtor as a preference or the avoidance of a mortgage due to filing problems. She also helps businesses and individuals file proofs of claim.
In addition, she litigates workers’ compensation disputes in both the administrative system and the state and federal district courts – defending against workers’ compensation claims, pursuing subrogation claims, defending employers’ liability and .82 actions, resolving insurance coverage and premium disputes.
She is rated AV Preeminent® for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
As Vice-President of Practice Management at Lommen Abdo, her duties include business development, marketing, staffing, finances and oversight of the day-to-day operations of our firm. She was selected as one of the Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal’s Women in Business in 2012.
Margie is actively involved in the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce’s Executive Women’s Council and is a member of the Minneapolis St. Paul Community Board of Trustees for the Jeremiah Program. She is also a strong supporter of Friends of Ngong Road, Hope Community and the Hope Chest for Breast Cancer.
Prior to her legal career, she coordinated an award winning community drug prevention program on the Iron Range and won awards as the news editor of the Mesabi Daily News. Today she is an avid Gopher football and basketball fan, baker of bundt cakes and an itinerant traveler.
Leadership + Activities
- Executive Women Steering Committee, a Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce Networking Group
- Jeremiah Program, Minneapolis-St. Paul Community Board of Trustees
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Advisory Panel Member
- “Legal Malpractice Actions & Ethics Issues Related to Bankruptcy Matters,” Minnesota CLE, October 2009
- “Skip Tracing in Minnesota,” National Business Institute, August 2000
- “Are You Prepared for the Changes in UCC Article 9?” Collecting Debts in Minnesota: From Documentation, to Levies, to Bankruptcy in the Year 2000, Lorman Education Services, February 2000
- “Collecting Debts in Minnesota: From Documentation, to Levies, to Bankruptcy in the Year 2000,” Lorman Educational Services, January 2000
- “When You Have to Go to Court – Litigation and Ethical Obligations to Collections,” National Business Institute, July 1998
- “How to Dodge Financial Pain When Others File,” Upsize Minnesota Magazine, April/May 2010
- “Medical Managed Care Reimbursement: Unjust to Constitutional,” Minnesota Medicine, October, 2000
- University of Minnesota, Duluth, B.A., magna cum laude, 1976
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1986
- Minnesota, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1986
News + Articles
At the end of 2020, and after 32 years at Lommen Abdo, I retired from the practice of law! I will remain as “of counsel” to help where needed, primarily in bankruptcy litigation. My life has been an amazing journey from the grade school girl who dreamed of being a...
The COVID-19 emails are endless. But I received one a day or so ago that offered a good perspective: In early British World War II when the public was bracing for widely predicted mass air attacks on major cities across the country, the British government created and...
The economic crisis of recent years has resulted in near record bankruptcy filings. The impact upon your business when a customer or vendor files a petition for bankruptcy can be devastating. You can alleviate the economic loss, however, by learning about the...
Kay Hunt and Margie Bodas spoke on October 13, 2009 at the Ethics and Elimination of Bias seminar presented by Minnesota CLE on the topic, "Legal Malpractice Actions and Ethics Issues Related to Bankruptcy Matters." Program description: Representing debtors and...
By Margie Bodas. Appeared in Minnesota Medicine, October 2000
Margie Bodas spoke on August 29, 2000 at a full day seminar on Skip Tracing in Minnesota, presented by the National Business Institute. Co-presenters were Scott Gray, Metro Legal Services, and Attorney Jon Hawks. Agenda: Skip Tracing Basics What is skip...