Michelle K. Kuhl
Areas of Practice: Appeals, Litigation, Insurance Defense Litigation, Insurance Coverage, Professional Liability
Office Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota / Hudson, Wisconsin
Direct: 612.336.9328 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle K. Kuhl / Biography
Michelle is a litigation attorney with a practice focusing on appeals. She has experience handling all aspects of appeals including briefing, oral arguments, appellate motions, and petitions for review. Before joining Lommen Abdo, Michelle clerked at the Minnesota Supreme Court where she gained valuable insight into the process by which appellate courts decide cases. Michelle also handles complex motions in a variety of other litigation areas, including professional liability, commercial litigation, insurance defense, insurance coverage and subrogation.
She is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© Ones to Watch for her work in the practice areas of Appellate Practice and Legal Malpractice Law and is listed as a Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers since 2021.
Leadership + Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section Council
- Adjunct Professor at University of St. Thomas School of Law – Lawyering Skills III, 2020 to present
- “Introduction to Commercial Insurance for the Business Lawyer – Primary Coverage, Subordination, Claims-Made, Prior Acts, Tail Coverage and More,” Business Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, June 2023
- “Extraordinary Writs, Interlocutory Appeals, Emergency Proceedings: What Every Appellate Practitioner Should Know,” Eighth Circuit Bar Association, May 2022
- “Demystifying Extraordinary Writs,” Appellate Practice Institute, Minnesota CLE, 2022
- “Making Post-Trial Motions and Initiating Appeals,” Civil Litigation A to Z, Minnesota CLE, September 2021
- “When CAN You Speak to a Represented Party?” HCBA, June 2020
“Chapter 14: Select Commercial General Liability Policy Exclusions,” Update to Fifth Edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, Minnesota CLE, April 2023
“Chapter 14: Select Commercial General Liability Policy Exclusions,” Update to Fifth Edition of the Minnesota Insurance Law Deskbook, Minnesota CLE, July 2021
- “Appellate Arguments by Zoom,” The View, Minnesota Lawyers Mutual, November 2020
- “Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases,” Chapter 20, 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook
- “Minnesota Amends its Rule of Professional Conduct Authorizing a Lawyer Admitted in Another Jurisdiction to Provide Legal Services in Minnesota,” Minnesota Lawyer, June 2019
- University of Minnesota, B.A., with high distinction, 2013
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2015
- Minnesota, 2016
- Wisconsin, 2023
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2017
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2022
News + Articles
With any legal case, there are several factors to consider in deciding whether to appeal, as discussed in my previous blog, “To Appeal or Not to Appeal. That is the Question.” But in addition to those factors, there are certain features of trust and estate matters in...
It may seem obvious that the time to contact an appellate attorney is when you want to file an appeal. But there are benefits to getting an appellate attorney involved even during earlier stages of your case. Here are six times it might make sense to seek an appellate...
Whenever a party wants to appeal a district court’s decision, it is crucial to comply with all the requirements in the Minnesota Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure to do so. One such requirement is Rule 103.01, subd. 1, which requires serving the notice of appeal on...
Appellate Courts Issue String of Decisions Regarding Prejudgment Interest in Minnesota Insurance Law
The Minnesota appellate courts have issued several decisions in the last few years regarding prejudgment interest in insurance cases. Because prejudgment interest can greatly increase the amount of damages, it is important to understand how it will be calculated....
We are thrilled to announce the outstanding Lommen Abdo attorneys who have earned the prestigious recognition of being named in the 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers. These accomplished legal professionals have demonstrated unwavering dedication, exceptional skills, and a...
At Lommen Abdo, we are thrilled to announce and celebrate the exceptional legal talent in Minnesota as we recognize our 2023 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. These esteemed attorneys have demonstrated outstanding skills, legal acumen, and an unwavering...