Michelle K. Kuhl / Biography
Michelle is a litigation associate with a practice focusing on appeals. She has experience handling all aspects of appeals including briefing, oral arguments, appellate motions, and petitions for review. Before joining Lommen Abdo, Michelle clerked at the Minnesota Supreme Court where she gained valuable insight into the process by which appellate courts decide cases. Michelle also handles complex motions in a variety of other litigation areas, including professional liability, commercial litigation, insurance defense and subrogation.
She is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© Ones to Watch for her appellate practice and is listed as a Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers.
Leadership + Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor at University of St. Thomas School of Law – Lawyering Skills III, 2020
- “When CAN You Speak to a Represented Party?” HCBA, June 2020
- “Appellate Arguments by Zoom,” The View, Minnesota Lawyers Mutual, November 2020
- “Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases,” Chapter 20, 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook
- “Minnesota Amends its Rule of Professional Conduct Authorizing a Lawyer Admitted in Another Jurisdiction to Provide Legal Services in Minnesota,” Minnesota Lawyer, June 2019
- University of Minnesota, B.A., with high distinction, 2013
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2015
- Minnesota, 2016
News + Articles
The Minnesota Court of Appeals recently clarified that an attorney misconduct claim couched as a breach of fiduciary duty claim is still a claim for attorney malpractice and subject to the expert affidavit requirements of Minnesota Statutes section 544.42. In short,...
Nearly every attorney has now been affected in some way by the challenges brought on by COVID-19. Appellate attorneys have largely been lucky compared to their trial-level colleagues because most appellate work is uniquely well-suited for a remote environment. After...
A recent decision from the District of Minnesota reaffirmed that under Minnesota law third-party liability insurance coverage follows the vehicle, not the person. Therefore, insurance policies may contain provisions that do not extend coverage to certain vehicles,...
Kay Nord Hunt and Michelle K. Kuhl co-authored Chapter 20 in the 2020 Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Deskbook, "Review by Extraordinary Writ in Civil Cases."
Lommen Abdo is proud to have increased the number of its lawyers included in the latest edition of The Best Lawyers in America© – especially in the midst of a pandemic. One additional Lommen Abdo attorney has been included in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers: One to...
The Minnesota Supreme Court released its highly anticipated decision in Peterson v. Western National on July 29, 2020. This decision was the first case in which the Court interpreted the first party bad faith statute, Minn. Stat. § 604.18. As expected, the Court...